Friday, February 10, 2012

Fashion Week 2012: Day 1 Recap

Happy Friday Everyone!

We have been hinting that we have a special Fashion Week Correspondent for this year's NYFW, and now the time has come for the reveal!!! 

Since, much to our dismay, we are not able to gallivant off to New York City for decadent soirees and runway shows, we're relying on our new Fashion Week Correspondent to keep us, and our amazing readers, in-the-know about all things Fashion Week!!

Without further ado, we'd like to introduce Jennifer, Style Edit's Fashion Week Correspondent for NYFW!  With a Master's in Fashion Management from Domas Academy in Milan (yes, ITALY!) Jennifer will sift through the bevy of shows, models and clothes to give us the 411 on what's trending!


And so it begins…

Hello Style Edit readers, my name is Jennifer Perusek and I will be your fashion guide through one of the most exciting fashion weeks of the year… New York Fashion Week (NYFW).

I will be bringing you a daily recap of the Fall/Winter 2012 – 2013 shows.  I’ll be showing some emerging trends, designer collections I love, and some other fun goodies along the way.

So, is everyone ready?  Here we go!!

Trends

It being the first day of NYFW, it’s a little too soon to decide on specific trends for the week, but here are some things I saw today that I absolutely hope will continue!

School Girl
The School Girl look has been seen on the runway, thankfully not of the Britney Spears variety.  Steven Alan, Jil Sander Navy, and Rachel Comey all showed the good side of the School Girl with their sweet dresses, accentuated with prim t-shirts, sweaters, and backpacks.



Blurred Prints
It’s nothing new to see prints on the runway.  I promise that you will see prints on every runway, every season, for the rest of time.  So what’s new about this season’s prints?  Well it’s not so clear…

Designers are using prints that require a little further inspection because they are quite blurry.  I love these prints by Michael Angel, Gary Graham, and Kimberly Ovitz.  They bring a little bit of mystery to the clothes, which I think is perfect for fall!




Orange
I haven’t always been a fan of orange, as it reminds me of Halloween.  But this season’s interpretation of the color looks lovely when set against dark grays and blacks.  I’ve seen this color in several shades already today and in many different styles, even as a scarf.

We’ll see if other designers will incorporate this color in their collections, taking today’s lead of Rachel Comey, BCBG Max Azria, and Juan Carlos Obando.


  
Collections

My two favorite collections today come courtesy of BCBG Max Azria and Z Spoke by Zac Posen.  Why?  Well let’s see…

BCBG Max Azria
This new fall collection saw a great use of orange (as described above) especially when they paired it with white in their pleated skirts.  Besides this color story, I also loved the use of geometric shapes that Max and Lubov Azria used.  They incorporated the shapes as a new way of color blocking and kept it from looking too rigid by using soft, flowy fabrics.

What I love most about this collection was that it was sophisticated, but not stuffy.  Yes, the colors and designs were certainly meant for the pure sophisticate, but they were also whimsical and even sexy with the use of sheer fabric in all of the right places.



Z Spoke by Zac Posen
Every once in a while, a fashion collection will leave me speechless.  It’s hard to do but that’s exactly what the new Z Spoke by Zac Posen collection did….

Why am I so speechless?  Because I just can’t put into words why I love this collection so much.  I just do.

Zac Posen created some beautiful clothes for this collection filled with clean lines that suit a woman’s body perfectly.   His use of dark colors and sharp shoulders remind me of a fashionable Cruella Deville and just when I thought I had this collection pegged, he ends his collection with a beautifully soft pleated coral dress…

I’m so in love, I have no words (except of course for the ones above J).





And one little goodie for you all…
I was quite happily surprised to see this beautiful sweater in the 10 Crosby Derek Lam collection.  Peplum skirts were alive and well last spring, but I am pleased as plum to see it has been translated into fall.

This peplum sweater is absolutely adorable and perfect for a formal day at work or a lovely dinner out.



More to come tomorrow…
Jennifer


*** 


To learn more about Jennifer visit her site here!




Do you have a favorite show or look yet?  Tell us!!! 


Have a great weekend everyone!!


xoxo,
B&M








All images courtesy of Style.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment