Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fashion Week 2012: Day 2 Recap

More from our Fashion Week Correspondent, Jennifer!! 

Day 2

Trends

First things first, let’s check in on our trends from yesterday.  I did find some School Girl looks thanks to NAHM, but the trend was definitely stronger yesterday.  As for Blurred Prints and Orange, those looks are alive and well, shown below by Rebecca Minkoff and M. Patmos respectively (not too mention many other designers today).


And thanks to today’s shows, I’ve found two more trends to add to our watch list:  Sheer and Tricky Textures.

Sheer
As a fashion lover, one of my biggest pet peeves is when a trend comes in one minute and leaves the next.  I like my clothes to last so I was very pleased to see the Sheer trend from last Spring has found its way onto the Fall runways.

Almost every designer is showing a garment with sheer fabric, usually a very lightweight satin, that gives the piece a demure sexiness.  Peter Som, TSE and Rebecca Taylor all put their own spin on this trend, but I especially like the pattern of TSE’s skirt with its ribbed bottom edge.  It looks like an upside down sweater.






Tricky Textures
Fall is a wonderful time to play with textures because it’s easy to layer when it’s so cold outside.  At the moment, I am quite intrigued by the textures I’ve been seeing on today’s runways because I can’t tell how they’re made.

Are they embroidered?  Printed?  Honestly, I’m not sure.  Nevertheless, when I see garments like these all I want to do is reach out and touch them.  My inner child just can’t resist thanks to the genius of Jason Wu, Juan Carlos Obando, and Tadashi Shoji.



Collections

Chadwick Bell, Peter Som, and Rebecca Minkoff showed my favorite collections today.  They were all varied and brought some new things to the proverbial fashion table.

Chadwick Bell
I will admit up front that before today I had never heard of Chadwick Bell.  But his new Fall collection has made me a big fan.

The entire show was this unique mix of the demure 1950s and the strong 1980s.  The collection had strongly tailored suits, casually cool separates, and absolutely adorable mary janes.  And the leather gloves throughout made the color palette really pop!

I know the last dress will not be liked by everyone, but I thought it was so refreshing to have the polka dots and feathers together in such a whimsical way. 






Peter Som
Peter Som showed very strong shoulders in his new collection that still managed to look utterly sophisticated and soft (definitely not an easy feat for this Frankenstein-like look).

With such a strong statement in the shoulders, he kept to designing tailored pieces in sumptuous fabrics, like wool and leather, in rich jewel tones.  I especially loved the peplums on some of his dresses.  He certainly knows how to make bold look easy.


  

Rebecca Minkoff
Rebecca Minkoff’s collection was just plain fun.  Her clothes are so effortlessly cool, I just want to wear them on a Saturday night out.  Her color choices were varied in the collection, but my favorite was the purple and green combination.  These two regal colors look so beautiful together.

She had some great watercolor-esque blurred prints that were right on trend and had a recurring theme of sharply collared lapels throughout the entire collection.  The final dress, with its aforementioned lapels, looked just adorable.




And one little goodie for you all…
Has this ever happened to you?  You see something for the first time and then the next day you can’t stop seeing it?  That seems to happen to me a lot and today’s little goodie is a direct result of this.

The other day, while researching a story, I came across a photo of the lovely actress Diane Kruger at the Berlin Film Festival.  She was wearing this adorable outfit by 10 Crosby Derek Lam that had her wearing two skirts, a short one over a long one.

And what do you know?  The next day looking at the runways this double skirt look kept popping up.  My favorite interpretations so far are by NAHM and TSE.  I’ll be keeping my eye out to see if I find more in the coming days…





xoxo,

B&M 



All images courtesy of Style.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment